The 1925 Dempster Street station of the Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad and terminal for the Chicago Rapid Transit had fallen on hard times after the railroads ceased using the structure in 1963. Having grown up in the area and knowing that the structure virtually created the surrounding commercial region, J.J. Sedelmaier offered to get involved with the saving of the building originally designed by architect Arthur U. Gerber. In 1996 the preservation of the station was secured with a place on the National Register Of Historic Places. A partnership of the Taxman Corporation, led by Seymour Taxman, and Scott Gendell’s Terraco Inc. paid $1 to purchase the building, but also had to spend close to $1.4 million to move it 130 feet to the east, restore it, and reopen it as a retail outlet. Sedelmaier had amassed a great deal of reference material on the building and offered it up to Bill McMillan, the supervising architect from Antunovich Associates in Chicago, who was hired to move and restore the structure. Sedelmaier and McMillan were in constant contact and even appeared on a local radio program to describe their collaborative efforts. The rejuvenation process took 6 1/2 years, with the station rededicated in its new nearby location, (as a Starbucks / Washington Mutual Bank) on November 24, 2003. Link to article describing terminal's history/renovation.